100 Parklane Drive
Eagleville, PA 19403
P: 610-539-8020
F: 610-539-6347


 < Home  < FAQ's
  Lower Providence Township FAQ's
  Finance FAQs
  What is the 2015 Tax Millage?
General Fund 0.905
Library Fund 0.345
Debt Service Fund 0.276
Parks & Recreation Fund 0.241
Total 1.767
  What taxes are levied in Lower Providence Township?
  Earned Income Tax

1% of gross income

1/2 % LPT & 1/2 % MSD

-----------Collector:-------Berkheimer Associates
--------------------------------50 North Seventh Street
--------------------------------Bangor, PA 18013
--------------------------------(800) 360-8989
  Local Services Tax
  $52.00 per person employed in Lower Providence Township ($1.00 per week); $47.00 LPT & $5.00 MSD.

-----------Collector:-------Berkheimer Associates
--------------------------------50 North Seventh Street
--------------------------------Bangor, PA 18013
--------------------------------(800) 360-8989
  Per Capital Tax
  $15.00 annually; $5.00 LPT $10.00 MSD

-----------Collector:-------Berkheimer Associates
--------------------------------50 North Seventh Street
--------------------------------Bangor, PA 18013
--------------------------------(800) 360-8989
  Real Estate Tax
  1.767 Mills on 100% of Property Assessment

-----------Collector:-------Kirsten Deal
--------------------------------PO Box 7220
--------------------------------Audubon, PA 19407-7220
--------------------------------(610) 666-1980
  When are Real Estate Tax bills mailed?
  Tax bills are mailed on March 1.
  When is my Real Estate Tax bill due?
  Bills paid prior to April 30 of each year qualify for a two percent (2%) discount. A ten percent (10%) penalty is assessed for payments made after July 1.
  Who is the Lower Providence Township Tax Collector?
  Kirsten Deal
  Where do I send my Real Estate Tax payment?
  Kirsten Deal
PO Box 7220
Audubon, PA 19407-7220
(610) 666-1980
  Does my mortgage company pay my Real Estate Tax bill?
  This is an agreement made between the taxpayer and the mortgage company. Contact your mortgage company for verification. If your mortgage company does pay your tax bill, forward a copy of the bill to them upon receipt.
  How are my Real Estate Taxes calculated?
  The rate of your tax bill varies yearly based on the millage rate and assessed value of your property.
  Does Lower Providence Township have a Business Privilege Tax or Merchantile Tax?
  Who is subject to withholding for the Local Services Tax (LST) formerly known as the Occupational Privilege Tax?
  Employees who are 18 years old as of January 1 of the tax year and are employed by companies residing in Lower Providence Township.  If you do not earn the minimum of $12,000 per year, you may request a refund from Berkheimer Associates.
  Do I have to pay the Local Services Tax to each employer if I hold more than one job?
  No. You are only liable for $52.00 per year. Employers are required to deduct the tax from all employees. Present verification that you previously paid the tax and you will be reimbursed.
  Who is subject to withholding for the Per Capita Tax?
  Those living in Lower Providence Township, who are 18 years and older, unless a full time student or active military.
  What is the Real Estate Transfer Tax rate?
  One percent (1%) of total sale of property. Divided 1/2% to Lower Providence Township & 1/2% to Methacton School District. Tax is collected at settlement and disbursed to the appropriate entities.
  Do I need a tax, sewer and trash certification prior to the sale of my property?
  Yes, all three must be certified prior to the settlement of the property.

Real Estate Taxes
Kirsten Deal
PO Box 7220
Audubon, PA 19407-7220

(610) 666-1980


Sewer Fees
Sewer Authority
50 Parklane Drive
Eagleville, PA 19403
(610) 539-6161


Trash Fees
(2003 - 2005)
Finance Department
100 Parklane Drive
Eagleville, PA 19403
(610) 539-8020

  Planning and Zoning FAQs
  How is my property zoned?
  This question should be directed to the Zoning Officer. Each zone is shown on the official zoning map. The Zoning Ordinance Zoning Ordinance contains zone district schedules prescribing permitted uses and bulk information pertaining to setbacks, density, structure height, lot size, etc.
  When should I apply for a zoning permit?
  You should check with the Township Zoning Officer whenever you propose to: build or alter a structure; change the nature of the activity that is to take place on a given property (e.g., residential use to commercial use, or one kind of business activity to another); hold a temporary event, installation of signs, grading or anything else that could have some impact upon other properties.
  How do I know if my proposal complies with the Zoning Ordinance?
  You can call the Director of Community Development for general information but we can serve you much better if you submit drawings/plans first and/or make an appointment to discuss your plan in person. The Director will give you the best guidance he can, but ultimately the responsibility to comply with the Zoning Ordinance rests with the property owner. Unfortunately, no set of regulations can foresee every kind of circumstances, and there is always the possibility of varying interpretation.
  If the Township denies my permit, can the decision be overruled?

Yes. You can file an appeal with our Zoning Hearing Board if you feel the Township made an incorrect interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance, or if you feel the zoning regulation that caused the denial of your permit is unfair in your particular circumstances.

  Do I need a permit to operate a business from my home?.
  The Township Zoning ordinance provides criteria for individuals wishing to operate a home occupation. A zoning permit is required for all home occupations and a business license maybe required.
  Please explain what “grandfathering” and “non-conforming” means. How do these terms apply?

If you have a property with a building that does not conform to our zoning regulations (perhaps in terms of its setback from the property line, or its height), or you have a business that is not expressly permitted for a given zone district – and that building or business existed prior to the zoning regulation that otherwise prohibits it – you may have a “non-conforming” building or business. It may therefore be “grandfathered” and allowed to continue – and to some extent potentially expanded. In such a case you shall or must provide good, compelling evidence of when the non-conforming entity came into existence. This might include: business records, pictures, affidavits, etc.

  How do I make an appeal to the Zoning Hearing Board?

Zoning appeals are made by submitting an application with corresponding fee which you can obtain by clicking on Zoning Appeal Application. They must be submitted about a month prior to the date of the scheduled hearing in order to legally advertise it.

There is no guarantee that your appeal will be heard on the date of the next scheduled meeting of the Zoning Hearing Board because there is always the possibility of case overload; the unexpected absences of members, or bad weather. We do our best, however.

Submit all pertinent information along with your appeal application, and be advised you will not get back any exhibits you may present as supporting evidence for your case. Fees for an appeal are listed on the application form.

  What is the procedure for subdividing property?

The ultimate goal is to have an approved plan recorded at the Montgomery County Courthouse so the new deeds can be prepared. The applicant is to file the appropriate Subdivision Review Application together with fees and plans drawn in accordance with the Township Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance.

The plans are then distributed to the various reviewing personnel and agencies for their review and comment in time for the Planning Commission’s consideration. All zoning issues must be resolved before the plan can advance beyond the Planning Commission. Therefore, it is recommended that the applicant meet with the Community Development staff to identify possible zoning and planning issues prior to submitting the plans. Should the Planning Commission find the plan to be substantially compliant, a favorable recommendation is forwarded to the Board of Supervisors.

The plans are usually revised to address any remaining comments prior to the Board of Supervisors reviewing them. Once the plans are “clean” for final approval by the Board of Supervisors, staff will prepare a resolution for the Board to consider.

Once the plan is approved, the applicant has 90 days to address any onditions of approval and record the plan. The timeframe to go through process depends on the complexity of the plan. However, minor residential subdivision (5 lots or less) and generally take 3 to 6 months on average. Major subdivisions generally take longer. No building permits can be issued until the plan is recorded.

  What do I have to consider when preparing a plan for submission to the Planning Commission?

The Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance:

Plan Drawing and Submission Requirements Required Public Improvements to be Constructed Required Agreements Construction Standards for Improvements.

The Zoning Ordinance: Setbacks, use, driveway separation distance, clear sight triangle, setbacks for parking lots and buildings, property size, screening and buffer, parking lot design and size, signs.

Engineering: Stormwater control, wetlands preservation, impervious surface, traffic impact, property survey, right-of-way dedication, erosion and sedimentation controls, availability of water and sewer and recreation.

Legal Deeds, Improvements Agreements, financial security
Offsite Impact Comments from the neighboring public.

  Code Enforcement And Building Permit FAQs
  Does the Code Enforcement Department have records for my lot , my house or my property?
  Perhaps. The Code Enforcement Department maintains a file on each tax parcel (lot) within Lower Providence Township. Records within the tax parcel file may contain detail such as building permits, plot plans, and correspondence. These files are public record and may be reviewed during regular business hours. Property deed records can be obtained at the Montgomery County Assessment office. Specific property tax records and tax maps can obtained at the Montgomery County website for property records
  Why do I need a Building Permit?
  You need a permit for construction because as of April 9, 2004 it is a state law under PA Act 45 of 1999.  Permits ensure safe construction by protecting public health, safety and welfare.  Permits allow code officials to help to reduce potential hazards of unsafe construction by guaranteeing that minimum construction standards  are met.

Do I need a permit to just replace roof shingles?

  Only if you are replacing the plywood deck or if the construction involves structural work such as replacing rafters.

Do I need a permit if I am installing replacement windows?


You do not need a permit unless the new windows are a different size from the old ones.

  Do I need a permit for a concrete walkway or patio?

No, a building permit is not necessary, however, zoning permits are required.

  Why is it more difficult to get a building permit in Lower Providence Township than in other townships?
  Lower Providence prides itself on the quality and safety of construction that takes place in our township. We have a strict policy of being code compliant: no matter how large or small of a project. A detailed plan review is done with each building permit application that includes a site plan, building design, foundation plan, floor plan, cross section, elevations, electrical, heating and ventilation, drainage and vent piping, and water distribution. Each area of the project has numerous sub-areas for the inspector to review.

Because of this strict code compliancy, there are fewer fires, less severe weather damage, and fewer flooding problems caused by sub-standard construction. When these incidents occur they are less severe because of our high standards. Property insurance rates are generally lower in our Township than in similar townships. Our code inspectors strive to maintain and conduct the highest business professionalism when reviewing plans and conducting inspections.


Why does it take so long to get a permit approved? 

  On average, it takes about two weeks to get a permit application approved. During the heavy home improvement season (Summer) it can take up to three weeks. The inspector first reviews each permit application and checks if it is filled out completely and correctly. The zoning officer reviews the plot plan to see if everything will fit properly and the plan follows all zoning regulations. Then building inspector reviews the actual plans to see if all building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical codes are being followed and if proper materials are being used. If everything passes this review, then the building permit is approved and construction may begin, once the permit has been paid and picked up by the applicant. One house permit may take the inspector several hours to review. Each permit gets 100% of the inspectors attention, whether its for a deck or for a $500,000 home.

  Why does the inspector seem so picky during inspections?
  The inspector is there for the homeowner.  He is making sure each and every aspect of the construction follows all codes.  What may seem small, to a home owner or contractor, may be the difference of a roof staying on in a strong storm, a fire not spreading from one level to another, a sewer line not leaking, or a deck not collapsing beecause of a snowload. 

What does the inspector really do?


A brief summary of our Code Enforcement Officers duties include:

    1. Reviewing building permit applications 

    2. Conducting on numerous site inspectionsin the Township

    3. Appearing for court hearings for non-compliance of zoning and building codes

    4. Commincating with the public about construction concern

    5. Continuing education for code certification

    6. Answering complaints concerning concerning code            violations and local ordinances      

  I am just putting a roof on an existing porch/deck.  Why do I need a building permit?
  In order to ensure a safe design, and to accommodate for additional loads, such as snow. Existing decks are not designed to support such loads.
  My deck is rotting. Do I need a permit?

If you are REPAIRING an EXISTING deck this is routine maintenance and a Permit is not required. HOWEVER, if this deck is expanded in any manner from the original size a Permit is required.


I am upgrading my electrical service from 100 amps to 200 amps or changing electrical outlets. Do I need a permit?

  Yes, you do need an electrical permit. 

2015® This Site is Property of Lower Providence Township. All rights reserved.
Site designed and developed by NTI4